Friday, August 04, 2006

Variations on the same theme

I watched Match Point last night. For those who are unaware, it is a Woody Allen movie that came out recently and is now out in DVD. I liked it but I have comments, of course, hence the post.

(Oh and by the way, where the hell is Road, the film student, when I need her. I wrote this post with her in mind!!!)

First and foremost, this movie is just Woody Allen’s Crimes and Misdemeanours(1989). The plot is the same, the theme is the same and it is Mr. Allen’s obsessive pondering of Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment (a book that is featured in Match Point). Of course I liked Match Point because I loved Crimes and Misdemeanours. Why I loved Crimes and Misdemeanours and only liked Match Point hinges on several factors (in no particular order):

  • Match Point is set in London. Crimes and Misdemeanours is set in New York. New York is way better than London.
  • I like my Woody Allen films with Woody Allen in them. After his fall from Grace because of his perverted penchant for his adopted children, many can’t stand to look at him. I am not one of these people. Annie Hall remains to this day one of my favourite movies of all time and one that I must show to every new boyfriend to gauge his appreciation of it. Match Point has no Woody.
  • The lead character in Match Point is supposed to be a poor Irish guy. He sounds English to me. How is this guy Irish? Not even a trace unless you count the fact that he can be a moody bastard.
  • Crimes and Misdemeanours handled large philosophical issues that are asked in Crime and Punishment. There were so many layers, so much symbolism. Match Point was smaller. There wasn’t as much meat on it.
  • Crimes and Misdemeanours has that quirky, stilted yet somehow very realistic, bordering on bad acting that is a staple of a Woody Allen movie. I love that! Match Point was slicker. It was the first movie of Allen’s I have seen where he has actually not made his presence known which I concur may be a strong point for some and probably rightly so because it was in London and not NY so it had to be very different, blah blah blah but for me – see point #2.
  • Jazz v. Opera. The soundtrack (beautifully done by the way) served the same purpose in Match Point that is does in other Allen films. For me, it sets and solidifies the sense of “place”. This is another matter of taste. Opera makes sense in London as the Jazz of Porter and Gershwin can only be NYC. I like Porter and Gershwin more than opera just as I like NYC more than I like London. (see point #1)

My final word – fans of Woody Allen or not – rent Match Point. It’s good. But if you like the subject matter, the theme and the mental exercise that Match Point tempts you with, see Crimes and Misdemeanours.

Better yet – read Crime and Punishment. It is one of the best books ever written, ever. Don’t start it until the weather gets cold as all Russian novels should be read in the cold.

(I was going to link to the crib note of Crime and Punishment, but I am not. Read the book!)

8 Comments:

At Friday, August 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Crime and Punishment. It's a wonderful book. I always say that when in doubt about what literature to read, turn to the Russians. They never let you down.

I really hate Woody Allen and will take your word on the movie. I find him to be too pretentious in his later years to take time out of my life. I hate his voice too. Despite all of that, I do like Annie Hall. Great movie.

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006, Blogger Simone said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006, Blogger Simone said...

(sorry about that delete above.)

My god, we are all connected aren't we? I have Match Point sitting by my side as I write this. I let a friend borrow my copy and we were just discussing this am. Match Point is great. I love Scarlet's character in the film.

You should see Woody's new film out this week called "Scoop". Woody and Scarlet together. He's at his best. Old Woody, very very funny. Great one liners!!

Match Point is fantastic but got mixed reviews. It is so different from his other films. I really enjoyed it especially the scene with the guy fumbling with the gun was s Woody-esque - I was the only one dying from laughter in the movie theater! Some of his recent ones are great too like like "Small Town Crooks","Sweet and Lowdown" and "Mighty Aphrodite".

You have to see some of his older films like "Mid summer Night's Sex Comedy". I love Michael Caine in "Hannah and her Sisters" - great film too. Annie hall is one his best.

P.s I had to write a paper on Crimes and Mis.. I should look for it!

nice post. I'm sure Road would be proud of you.

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006, Blogger March2theSea said...

it was moderate at best IMO. I just don't *get* woody allen.

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

since road is not around, may another film major step in?

i saw the film and while i liked it i didn't love it. it was beautifully filmed, but he characters were good, but not great - i didn't latch onto any of them emotionally (side note - i would, however, like to latch onto Scarlett physically).

Aslo, the film was about 20 minutes too long.

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

also, annie hall is wonderful. american culture owes a lot to keaton and allen because of that film.

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Hotwire - I agree on both points. Match point was too long and using a talent like James Nesbitt in the dying minutes of the movie was just a tease.

Annie Hall is one film that I actually own because I need to watch it on a yearly basis.

 
At Sunday, August 06, 2006, Blogger Jenny G said...

I saw Crimes and Misdemeanors in high school in Philosophy class and remember liking it. I LOVE Annie Hall and New York Stories is good too. Haven't seen Match Point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home