Tuesday, August 01, 2006

10 little dislikes and counting...

As many of you know, Pog can be a cranky gal. The crankiness hits at funny times. I can't chalk it up to PMS or disagreements with friends or just general workplace annoyance - all of which I have read about on your blogs and I thought - fair enough - they have just reason to be cranky. I don't know what makes this so and when I sit back and think about it, I have absolutely no reason to be cranky and every reason to be joyous - and yet, I am still as ornary as a ram whose best friend is making eyes at his missus. Let me put my day in context for you ... I woke up to some of the most beautiful rural scenary in the world. No rushing to get to work, I dialed into the network. No dealing with work colleagues - or anyone for that matter. You want isolation? You got it here. I have nothing to blame for emulating Annoyed at this point but myself.

Since I have been using my posts as my own personal theraputic sessions, and I have felt mildly better getting these thoughts out of my head and into air space, this post will be no exception however, it will be like a not-nice version of Hotwire's list. So, without further delay, this is the first of many anticipated lists of what Pog does not like!!! (I hear many of you saying "who the hell cares?" hardly care myself is the answer but if I don't get it out, I will continue to be cranky)

In no particular order, and certainly not a comprehensive list:
  1. Lycra bicycle shorts. This applies especially when they are worn by fat germans who cycle around the beauty spots of Ireland in helmets, with bags full of packed lunches, red-faced and miserable as they try to get up some of the hills, totally oblivious to the beauty for which they came because they treat their vacations like its the f***ing tour de france.
  2. Experimental theater. A black box, a spot light and a naked crying man. I'll pass. I don't need someone emoting 2 inches away from me.
  3. Stewardesses (aka Sky Waitresses). Too many bad experiences, not enough good ones. You do the math.
  4. Probiotic yogurt drinks. What the hell are these? When did they figure out that drinking something that tastes like sour cheese run-off is good for you? Apparently, continental Europeans who are apt to think that yogurt is a cure for all things that ail you. I think Yoplait gets more medical research funding by the EU than the national health care services. Ridiculous.
  5. "X" or Zero anything. Why is everything renamed with an X - and spelled that way? Xtreme, etc. you know what I mean. And why has the word "diet" been taken out of our vocabulary and replaced by "zero" - zero calories, zero carbs, I get it, you didn't change the stuff and you are not fooling me into thinking it tastes any better.
  6. Housecleaning. Enough said.
  7. Rock Stars/Hollywood Celebrities as political activists. Bono - sing, don't talk. I don't even care if I agree with them or not, it isn't their job and I am just not interested in hearing their opinion on issues which they have no more authority on than I do. Just because they have an opinion and a microphone doesn't mean the two go together. Maybe they should just blog ;-)
  8. Newspaper print that makes your hands dirty. Didn't NASA invent something that could stop this from happening? I usually touch my face before I realise I am covered in ink and I look like I just swept some chimneys. Pain in the ass. Then I think I should carry around Purell and use it for those cases but then I will be one of those people who carry Purell ...
  9. People who carry Purell (and other paranoid, overly hygenic, anal retentive people). You are responsible for the increase in asthema and the introduction of most nut allergies. Don't know what I am talking about? check this out.
  10. Food with more air miles than me. I don't want an apple from Chile. They grow apples in Ireland ... and if I can't get Irish apples, I'll buy a french one. I don't want Brazil to cut down the rainforest to graze cattles, get out of the mad cow disease checks, and import beef to Europe when my neighbors are being paid not to have cattle on their land this year. I don't want vacuum packed carrots from Australia when the kids down the street are pulling them out of the ground. Is this madness to anyone else? What kind of fuel, cost, chemicals are they introducing to our food stuffs because some minister somewhere signed a piece of paper?
Whew! I have more but I am feeling better now and 10 is a good place to stop. Sorry about the cantankerous nature of my posts lately. Thanks for listening!

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 01, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

I love this post! I couldn't do it though. I couldn't just stop at 10, though, and it would end up being even longer than my Comfortable Dumb entry, which no one would want to see!

One of the things I would add to the list is text that suddenly bolds for no reason in the middle of a sentence and then continues all the way to the end and you have no idea why the hell it is bolded and wonder if the person who wrote it just forgot to turn the bold tag off or if really everything that they are writing from that point on deserves that level of emphasis.

Heh.

- D.

 
At Tuesday, August 01, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

I had to check to see if I did this on this post.

 
At Tuesday, August 01, 2006, Blogger b said...

Enjoyed that read, even if I do disagree with maybe half. I have an anal retentive friend who offered me a shot of her Purell after breakfast the other day. I hadn't even realized there was such a thing in the world. "No thank you," I said, "I rely on the production of antibodies for survival on this planet."

I got here from your comment on FreshAirLover where you mentioned the brief tango spark, a kind of thing I alluded to in my tango blog this morning. http://sevenbeauties.blogspot.com/

Bye, pog.

 
At Tuesday, August 01, 2006, Blogger March2theSea said...

1. Creepy I agree. On the right person though..yeeah
2. only what i have seen made fun of on tv and that was enough.
3. haven't travelled enough to say either way
4. huh?
5. safe language sucks "zero" is the worst along with "green boxes" on cookies.
6. I'd rather them sing/act as well but if it makes one person actually look in to an "issue" then its positive.
7. I agree. I only really read the sunday paper but its always followed with a hand washing. I "think" USA today has ink that doesn't get on your hands...but who reads that unless they are a a hotel?
8. Love the cleaning products. In a pinch they work but don't replace a good handwashing.
9. easy solution..don't eat fruit.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006, Blogger Mr. A said...

"Rock Stars/Hollywood Celebrities as political activists. Bono - sing, don't talk. I don't even care if I agree with them or not, it isn't their job and I am just not interested in hearing their opinion on issues which they have no more authority on than I do. Just because they have an opinion and a microphone doesn't mean the two go together. Maybe they should just blog ;-)"

I agree with everyone except this one.

Bono has raised awareness and MILLIONS of dollars for AIDs around the world.

He is well informed and his heart is in the right place. In my opinion in today's times it's important to stand for SOMETHING!

There are the Paris Hiltons of the world that need to shut the fuck up and there are the Bonos of the world that need to rage on!

It sucks that we live in such a lazy society and that young people take no responsibility for anything in the world.

It is lame that it takes The Dave Matthews Band or Bruce Springsteen to actually convince people to just REGISTER to vote!

However, if the voices being lent lead to positive change then why not use them to their fullest volume? I often think what I would do with "celebrity"

I would hope to follow Bono's example.


Great post!

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Beauties - welcome, I am clicking over to yours now

Rosie - bring it on, I am waiting for the read!

Annoyed - point taken BUT issues are complicated. They are rarely black and white and the risk we run is that people make decisions about important things with only one point of view and they continue to regurgitate something that someone famous has said, whether it be right or wrong. I used Bono as an example Bono's work is good, don't get me wrong, aids and poverty is a problem and should be dealt with however what about the argument, and I think it is valid, that these monies raised continue to fund violent, corrupt leaders who benefit from the abject poverty of their people (easier to control them) and blatently steal from the goodwill gestures of nations.

My point here is that there may be reasons that should be explored why when Bono says "We need money now" that people whose lives are dedicated to the situation in Africa (full time, no concert tours and recording sessions) say "OK, but let's talk about this a little more and your way may not be the right way."
I think you are right, I think Bono is well informed, I think his heart is in the right place and I think it is about time someone stands up for something but I worry that because of influence that he (and I again, I am using Bono as a reference but it could be famous person)has because of his music and that rock star idolatry that comes with the job has the power to put ideas without their full palette of nuance. Basically, "if Bono says it, it must be so because his music is all about peace". Not good enough.

Another good point of yours is that if we don't have these people getting involved (as they have for decades) then with just slip into even a worse state of apathy. You are right, I have no answer to that.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

ok, if i were to do a list of things that piss mee off it would number well beyond the current list of 101.

i love the purell peanut allergy one. where the hell were peanut allergies when i was a kid? did they have them and the kids died of it? i don't think so. if my kids bring a pb&j to school they have to sit in a special area like a f*cking leper and if you bring in a cake for their b-day the school has an approved list of stores from where it can be bought. here's an idea, let's let kids be kids and not treat them like john travlota in a bubble and let's not follow behind them with lysol and maybe they won't be allergic to everything with which they come in contact!

also, althought i suppose bono is doing some good things (although U2 is pure shite), i have to agree with you (and laura ingraham) that these folks need to 'shut up and sing'. i love jacksone browne, but went to a show in the 80s and it was like a huge political rally. AHHHHH!!!!!

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this list. Sometimes you need to get it out.

I agree that Purell has made people weaker. Germs are good. Our bodies are amazing in that they actually learn from new germs and make us stronger and more tolerant to other germs.

Everyone is sick because of this antibacterial shit.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006, Blogger Mr. A said...

Pog-

Great rebutal!

You are right that the monies raised end up in the hands of some shitty people.

Awareness is the first step. The genocide that is taking place in Africa while the "news" media sleeps of their jobs is a disgrace.

Bush gets on TV and says Irqais need to be free and this is the reason to go to war while ignoring the Cuban people right off our coast. People that can tell some horrific tales as well.

There are many areas of the world in need of some coverage. I agree that it sucks when a rock star or a movie star is the one to bring them into the public coinscence.

Someone needs to though.

The truth is, in today's celebrity obsessed culture these are the leaders of the youth.

Sad? Of course!

However, I'd rather my son or daughter ask me about the situation in Africa than ask me how much Paris Hilton's dog's collar would cost to own.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Annoyed - what you say is true. I suppose in my youth I was influenced by rock stars as well, not for political reasons but my love of The Police was the only reason I read Nabokov's Lolita (Don't Stand So Close To Me) Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols which spelled out the theory of Synchronicity (one that I can buy into) and Paul Burrough's Sheltering Sky (a Police Song by the same name). I ended up an English major and you are right, I would rather that kind of influence no matter where is comes from, instead of the "dumbing down" which seems to be going on all around us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home