Monday, July 17, 2006

The Little Things Mean a Lot - Part 1

Do you think that little things say a lot about a person? Or is it the big topics and overriding philosophies that people espouse to which decides what kind of friends, lovers, and people they are going be? Maybe it is just action without thinking and talking that measures the man (and woman)? I don’t have the answers. I was thinking about what I used to think could define a person when I was in my teens and 20s and I submit them to you with a fair degree of embarrassment. I am not too embarrassed though because it shows a naivety that I am happy I possessed back then.

I used to think that my eventual husband, the father of my children, my soul mate, would have the same opinions as my on these topics. Hey, could we have been best friends? Could we have been married and lived happily ever after? I would love to hear from each of you regarding all of these.

Who is your favourite Beatle? John, Paul, George or Ringo. Your choice categorizes you are artsy and philosophical (John), easy going, well adjusted and generally all around good guy (Paul), spiritual and a bright spark fading into the background (George) or an oddball, different just to be different with elements of Paul in there somewhere(Ringo). Ringo is the geek off the group. If he had a real job, he would be a software developer.

Pog’s choice – George. I have my reasons. He wrote or sang the best that the Beatles produced, hands down.

The Beatles or the Rolling Stones?

Pog’s choice – The Rolling Stones. It’s like choosing vanilla, the basis of all ice cream but still vanilla, versus rocky road with extra caramel and chocolate shots – messy, dirty, ultra-naughty, delicious.

Dogs or Cats? You all can write this one yourself, its been done.

Pog’s choice – Dogs.

David Gilmore or Roger Waters? Pink Floyd was dramatically different to my ears without Roger Waters.

Pog’s Choice – Gilmore. Give me “Learning to Fly” above “Another Brick in the Wall” any day. BTW, I know this is going to be a point of controversy amongst you hard core Floyd fans which I will not claim to be but I still get an opinion – it speaks to my character which is what this is all about.

Favorite Superfriend in the Hall of Justice – Superman, Wonderwoman, Spidey, etc.

Pog’s Choice – Aquaman. He was the hottest. Everyone knows that.

Baseball caps vs no baseball caps – Do you wear baseball caps? If you are a girl, do you or would you date a guy who wears a baseball cap. I don’t know why this is a category but it is. Boston College guys always wore baseball caps. Boston University guys (my alma mater) didn’t often.

Pog’s choice – no caps. I’ve tried it but for whatever reason, that intangible reason, it never worked out.

Reading over these, I see most of them are music based. It makes sense seeing as how music was a defining element of my youth and has become less of a defining factor of my social life as I have gotten older. Well, it’s a start. Maybe I will come up with a more up to date list, more relevant to my thought processes now. Stay tuned!

11 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Blogger Greg said...

interesting post, poglette.

i think we all start out thinking the big things are important. actually living with someone, the little things become OVERWHELMINGLY important.

clearly george is my favoutite. but ina contest between the stones and the beatles, i have to say i'm not a fan of either. but i can't stand jagger. his prancing and pouting, annoying when he was young, is now just sadly pathetic when old. plus he can't sing for shit.

i like both cats and dogs. but there's nothing like the aloof solitude of a cat.

gilmour or waters? they're both less alone than they were together. they need each other. Animals was the last great FLOYD album.

baseball caps? a bald man can't wear them. or any kind of hat. lest he be thought to be hiding his affliction.

this was almost like one of those myspace questionnaires....

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this. It's the little things. The big things are obvious, but sometimes it's the way a person folds their underwear that makes you fall in love with them. Well, not exactly that but you know what I mean.

George is my favorite because he is the most talented.

Rolling Stones. I love the Stones, sorry Sage. One of my favorite songs is 'Sympathy for the Devil'.

I love both, but I connect more with cats. Sometimes dogs are too needy.

Gilmore, for the same reasons.

No caps. Uh. I hate them. They remind me of premature ejaculating fraternity boys. And they make the head sweat which doesn't smell very nice.

I think about this kind of stuff too. I've recently dumped a whole bunch of my friends and it's more about the little things than the big things. But as I get older the most important thing is respect. If people don't have respect for all things, then I don't want to know them.

Sorry to go on and on.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

This post rules, Pog. Glad to see you kick ass like this. Here's mine:

I'm a George guy. Especially post-Beatles. Once Lennon and McCartney stopped trying to outdo each other, they by and large, sucked ass. George's stuff was great. Him by a mile. Don't even talk to me about Ringo (though I admit, I LOVE "It Don't Come Easy").

I'm a Beatles guy. No band in the history of music showed more musical growth in 4 years than these guys. They went from "She Loves You" to "A Day in the Life" in four years. That's a Def Leppard album away. If I wanted white boys stealing blues riffs and calling it their own, I'd listen to Zeppelin. Oh wait. I already do.

As Brad Pitt as the Pikey says, I like dahgs.

The next one is something I wrestle with time and time again. Gilmour is an amazing guitar player, but once Syd went nutso, it was up to Roger to write the tunes. I think The Wall is overrated. I think Dark Side deserves all the accolades it gets and I'm with Sage...Animals was absolutely BRILLIANT. One of the best discs ever. The Wall was all Waters. So was Animals. It's a tough call. I give it a draw, only because I respect both for different reasons.

I wear baseball caps occasionally. Mainly because my hair is unruly and needs some confinement. I suck. I know this.

Please give us more along these lines. I enjoyed this immensely.

- D.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Hey Guys - first let me tell you how surprised and how warm and fuzzy I feel about your thoughts about George! I thought I was alone. Dim - I like Ringo. 'It don't come easy' and 'Photograph' are really good (not the Def Lep Photograph either)

Sage - I enjoy my new moniker of poglette, even though it is close to piglette, but since we have never met, you don't know how close to being true that is these days ;-) I have never been to myspace but I may check it out to rob ideas for part 2.

Fresh - that is the reason! Caps = frat boys. Dim, you have proved yourself legit so you have a "wear a cap without being an asshole" free card, courtesy of blogspot.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

although, unlike some of you and most of humanity, i am not a beatles fan (i look at listening to a beatles album like i look at bowling - something fun to do one a year) i do like george and i feel back about how he was kept down, but he showed them all when he went solo.

that being said, i'd pick the stones, of which i'm a HUGE fan. no one plays like keith, 'paint it black' rocks, and there is nothing cooler in this world than the first 10 seconds of 'beast of burden'

i like the f*ck you attitude of a cat.

gilmour was the ball, but waters was the soul. anyone ever listen to 'the final cut' - genius. everyone weighed in with their favorite album, mine's 'with you were here'

spidey. no contest.

i wear baseball caps all of the time, but now i'm starting to rethink this...

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Whoa!!! I totally blew right by the superhero part. Mine is Green Lantern.

- D.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006, Blogger March2theSea said...

Spiderman was not a Superfriend.

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

march - correct, but since he was offered up i went with it!

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Why wasn't Spidey a superfriend? Did he not pass the hall of justice entrance exam? Was he too much of a creepy weirdo?

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Hotwire - you get the caps get out of free card too.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006, Blogger March2theSea said...

geek on patrol...

Superfriends was DC Comics stuff. Spiderman/Wolverine X-Men etc are Marvel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home