Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Office Wars: UK v US

They have just started to show the US version of the Office over here. I haven't seen it too many times, twice actually and only in fragments, but I can already tell why the US version doesn't work. It may be an ok show as far as sit-coms go but it is not, and I am sure all you Office fans out there will agree, the phenom that Ricky Gervais hit the BBC with a couple of years ago.

Let's explore this a little bit further. Apologies to those who are not familiar with the British Version of the Office. If you are not, rent it. Immediately.

The US version in theory, should work. They lifted so much of the English version including credits, camera angles and story lines. I just saw the American one about Comedy Relief which was one of THE funniest episodes in England. I didn't crack a smile. So how did they mess it up? I have been thinking a lot about what makes something funny and what does not ever since my ill-fated comedic dinner party conversation. Here are some points:


Battle of the Bosses: David Brent v Michael Scott

Michael Scott is really not funny and David Brent is hysterical. I get so embarrassed for him I have to hide my eyes. I think this is because Michael Scott has redeemable qualities - he is not entirely unlikeable or reprehensable so we find it harder to laugh at him. David Brent, on the other hand, is a terrible human being. If, at any time, we even think about feeling sorry for him, Gervais makes sure that Brent does something to pull us back from that sympathetic point. He makes us realise he is a selfish, underhanded, egotistical bastard. Sometimes that is not enough for me not to feel sorry for him but I can easily more laugh at him. The US version does not do that very subtle, thin line well at all.

Sales Rep Rumble: Tim v Jim

This is no contest. Martin Freeman as UK Tim is a man who is entering his thirties, realising that none of his dreams have a hope of coming through and is the ballast for the whole show. We get the pathos of this whole Office, which we need to highlight the comedy. Tim does nothing but comment on what is going on around him, he is the narrator, the chorus. In the American version, Jim, his equivalent, is young, it seems to be his first job out of college and he is actively writing a screen play. It may suck but he is still pursuing something outside the office. Not tragic enough! It doesn't provide the contrast that we need. Again, the devil is in the detail between brilliance and mediocrity.

Office Idiots: Gareth v Dwight

I think the UK Gareth works so much better than the US Dwight because of the opposite reason that the bosses work. I think we feel sorry for Mackenzie Crook's Gareth, just a little bit. He is so obviously out of touch, a bit vunerable and the kind of weak guy that we as kids would pick on because he would get mean instead of cry. He was a nasty mass of insecurities and vulnerablities - traits that kids are drawn to like sharks to chum. I believe it is tapping into that horrible cruelty to which we are familiar and Crook is absolutely brilliant. I think he is the best actor on the show. Dwight is just an asshole. I find him so one dimensional that I don't care about any of the humiliation he suffers at Jim's hand and because I don't invest myself, the laugh pay out is just not as big.

"Gareth Keenan investigates" That slays me.

Smile for the camera

In the US version, I never get the sense of the "mock-umentary" aspect of the show. It feels like a sit-com. In the UK version, the side glances and the presence of the unseen film crew is always there and again, adds to the heightening of the comedy.

This may be a part one of two because I need to see the US version more times to get all the details down. The little things make a lot of difference.

By the way - I have been to Slough. I even stayed overnight for a meeting. I felt special.

10 Comments:

At Saturday, July 08, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Wow, wow, wow. I love you, Pog, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I think the US version of the Office is absolutely hysterical. Sorry. Maybe I just don't know comedy. Heh.

- D.

 
At Saturday, July 08, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Also, I would like to add that I think we all have a genetic predisposition to like the first version of anything we see more than any subsequent version.

I love the US version of the Office. I bet you that if I started watching the UK version, I won't find it as funny.

 
At Saturday, July 08, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Dim,

Please, please, please see the UK one. I will bet you $10 bucks or a couple rounds of drinks if/when we meet that you will like the UK one better.

I will keep watching the US one because as a baseline show it is good but...

 
At Sunday, July 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of the US version. But, I'm OBSESSED with the UK version. I totally agree with you regarding Rick Gervais, there isn't one likeable thing about him but you are still interested because we all know that one person that is complete shit (and have worked for him or her). He plays it so perfect. And I agree about the whole mock-umentary feel of the UK version not really translating in the US version.

Great post!

 
At Sunday, July 09, 2006, Blogger Greg said...

british office is a self-contained, perfect 14 episodes. every bit of dialogue, and every situation, contributes to the arch of the show. there is nothing wasted.

american office is looser and, since they produce more shows, can afford to experiment and highlight different areas of the office for its comedic value.

david brent is a total wanker, and yet the brilliance of gervais is that just when we think brent has no redeeming qualities at all, he gives us a glimpse into brent's pain and loneliness and why he acts as he does. brent thinks he is so great and funny and loved because the alternative of actually looking at himself truthfully would crush him. and in the end, gervais shows us that brent can be redeemed. when he tells finchy to fuck off, you know that brent has turned the corner and is reaching towards humanity.

i think the office is more of a portrait of brent's decline and rise, and Dawn and Tim's quintissential love story, than a true comedy, although there's scads of comedy.

and american office, for all that it falls short of british perfection, is quite funny in it's own right. it's really gotten going the more they steer away from the british storyline. i think they're both excellent in their own way.

 
At Sunday, July 09, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Fresh and I agree on Brent but I concede to Sage on the fall and rise part - and they can do this because they knew it would end. It is hard to tell stories when there is a beginning and a middle and no foreseeable end as are all the stories on US TV.

True, Brent is tragic but in the most of those episodes we weren't asked to like him which made watching his idiocy funny instead of tragic. He was the dick in the office that Fresh, me and all of you know.

I will watch the US one now that it is being shown over here but I will have a hard time. Gareth is my favorite and I don't see how they can do this without Gareth.

 
At Sunday, July 09, 2006, Blogger March2theSea said...

i watch american idol and any other "smart" show that is "REAL people in REAL places" you people and your fantasy worlds...uggh.

seriously...I think each of them is good for what they are. The US office I find to be easier to identify with. as sage noted the BBC one was 14 episodes in and out..the US has more room to develop. I liked Garath..but I like Dwight just as much if not more cuz he is JUST like that dork/asshat in EVERY US OFFICE. Garath is just smarmy (and funny mind you). I saw the BBC one first before watching the US one and I was worried it was going to be rought since it has so much to live up to. The US one is good..very good.

done.
march

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

i like both versions, but it took my a while to get 'used to' the British one since i am more familiar with the US version.

the one place i disagree is with dwight k. schrute. HE ROCKS!

 
At Monday, July 10, 2006, Blogger Greg said...

hey pog, i didn't think anyone's ever been proud of going to slough.

i hear they dropped a bomb on it once; did 8 quid's worth of damage.

 
At Sunday, July 16, 2006, Blogger Jenny G said...

Awww. I love both in different ways. I like David Brent more than Michael Scott (I like Steve Carell but don't think Michael is that funny), but I like the secondary cast in the US version better than the UK version.

It's like comparing apples to oranges; British comedy is so much different than American, which reminds me of a Simpson's episode with Helen Fielding when she says something about Americans not getting sophisticated British humor and then runs around while chased by constables, Benny Hill-style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home