Tuesday, June 20, 2006

In Praise of Bad Music

Ok, listen up all you music lovers whose blogs I read and who read this blog, I have something to say to you. You all have been talking about tunes lately and you know what? You are all snobs! Snobs of first degree. First class snobs. Get out the double breasted pea coat and yachts man’s hats, you Thurston Howell the thirds you, ‘cause you all are cultural elitists of the utmost degree.

Hands off the comment button, did I say elitism was a bad thing? It has only recently turned into a term to be used as a weapon, as if saying elitism was narrow-minded or non-visionary. That is not what I am saying. I mean it in its pure, unmolested, unchanged by modern prejudice sense. I just have noticed that I am feeling somewhat - I dunno - left out by all this waxing philosophic on all things acoustic.

As I read deeper into the blogs, everyone is on the pulse of all this new bands, new sounds, everything. Has the wax even hardened before it is the subject of blog scrutiny? Don’t get me wrong, I like reading it all. I especially like it when I have heard the bands. Over on this side of the pond, bands like the Artic Monkey and Snow Patrol get played back to back with the Sugar Babes, new George Michael so I am all confused. It all sounds kinda all the same and too pop-like and teenager-y to me. I guess that is just me getting old. I think that every generation has their sound that defines them, Paul Simon said that, and I agree. Unfortunately, I prefer my mother’s generation and even my grandmother’s generation to my own.

Having said that, and to get back to the purpose of this blog, I want to start a feature in this blog which is the antithesis, the counterpoint, if you will, to March’s Forgotten Disc Friday. March is fantastic! The fact that he featured Elvis Costello on one of the Fridays stole my heart so my counterpoint is copying and flattery at its most sincere

I will not be posting about Led Zep, Hendrix, Janis or the others which were almost as much of an influence on my upbringing as my parents. That would be boring and March, Road and the other music snobs would argue that I am just preaching to the choir, and where is the fun in that? No, I will bring to your attention, dear readers, the music that you have forgotten on purpose. I will search into the archives and titillate you with the best of the worst. The scary thing about it is - I love it! I always have! If it is pre-1990 and I can dance to it, bring it on and bring it on fast! There is room in my heart and my CD case for “Night on Studio 54” along side of The Jam “This is a modern world”, Derek and the Dominos” Layla and Other love songs”, Steely Dan’s “Can’t buy a Thrill”, Smokey Robinson and Stan Getz and Gilberto doing the bossanova thing they do so well. I am going to further rob March of his creativity and call it Sucky Disc Sunday. The fact that this is not Sunday has not been lost on me. Deal with it - I haven’t posted in a while.

So March, since you are the inspiration, I dedicate it to you. And remember, if I like it, there is a 50% chance that is sucks.

Here is the first installment of Sucky CD Sunday. I hope you will consider it for your reading and musical pleasure.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Yes! I encourage contributions from anyone who is brave enough to expose the nether-regions of their ipods. Think of it as a confessional. It is a very liberating experience.

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Whoa...I might need to be in on this! Many crappy discs in the Dim Collection.

Well done, Pog!!

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Blogger March2theSea said...

pog..don't count on road..she is all talk..been "ready to do a FDF" for weeks now.

 
At Thursday, June 22, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Hey, you all know you love it - crappy tunes that is. Dim, Road - I look forward to what you have been hiding at the back of the CD case!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home