Saturday, June 10, 2006

Free pints with the toucan

I was reading Guinness for Strength's blog, I love the name, and I was inspired. Guinness, as most know, is a most ubiquitous drink in Ireland. You can't pass 10 yards without seeing a pub with a Guinness sign outside of it, a Guinness ad, an empty Guinness can, something. They are a huge corporate sponsor over here and they do have some of the most clever advertising campaigns going. Touring St. James Gate (the Guinness Brewery) is the highlight of the sightseeing tour around Dublin. Probably because they give it away after the tour is done.

The problem that Guinness has, however, is that people who normally would drink it, tend not to during the summer. Why? Because it is perceived as heavy (I disagree) and it is filling (this is true) and does not have the refreshing appeal of lager or cider. (Girls put cheap beer over ice here in the summertime. I balked at it at first but I am a convert now!) So, anyway, Guinness comes out with these new "formulas" to Guinness to get some of the drinking public back to Guinness drinking during the summer. What better way to do this than a promotion? On Thursday, I was in a pub - well outside in the beer garden - when one such a promotion was going on. This is what happened:

I joined my friends at an outside table which was full of Guinness Toucan - one of these new formulas which is on the sweeter side. It is nice! There were 10 poured pints just sitting there, waiting for be quaffed. I found this strange but I don't look gift horses in the mouth. My friends told me they were giving them away for free and that was good enough. I grabbed one didn't think about it again. Then some guy came around with a clip board and said, "so how are you enjoying those?" and Leighton, one of the guys I work with says, "I probably need another one to decide" The guy rolls his eyes but soon after the table is filled with another round. Free Guinness! Heaven had opened up and delivered its bounty!

So, time passes and the pints are drained and the guy with the clipboard comes around again to conclude his market research. This is what he gathered for the cost of his time, effort and 20 odd pints of free stout:

Guinness Rep: "So, are you all enjoying yourselves?"
Us: "Yes"
GR: "Are you enjoying the Guinness?"
Us: "Yes"
GR: "Are you all regular Guinness drinkers?"
Us: "Yes"
GR: "Would you drink Guinness in the summer time?"
Us: "Um, yes."
GR: "Would you drink Guinness toucan in the summer over regular Guinness?"
Us (except me): "Nah, probably not. Maybe. Yeah, ok. Hold on - no. Can't really tell."
Me: "Wait, we aren't drinking regular Guinness?"


I hope they keep Toucan. It is good. It is very new, it isn't even on their web site yet but I have it on good authority that it gives you strength.

2 Comments:

At Monday, June 12, 2006, Blogger Viszlát Sjáumst said...

Huh, this is an interesting development. I was in Ireland last spring and I didn't see hide nor hair of this Toucan... I fear Road is correct. This bird won't fly here in the States - not yet, anyway.

My one contention, however, is that - how can anything be smoother than Guinness ?!? It's the best beverage on Earth. I find it neither heavy nor filling. It is an optical illusion. The Magic of Guinness. I'll stop now, perhaps this deserves a full post...

As for the Sage and his aversion to the Black Gold, I can only say he's a lager man. Different people.. different needs.

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

I heard good things about the Brewhouse 39 which is on the web site. I am like you, Guinness, I didn't think they could improve on perfection and ya know, maybe they didn't, maybe it is all a placebo effect... we believed it was smoother because they told us it was. I am going to have to do lots more research and get back to you ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home