Saturday, June 24, 2006

On Writing and Blogging

I was reading Sage's post on things that go bump in the night and the eventual discovery of the Truth of all things via the scientific method (don't agree but that is for another time for Sage and I to get out our dueling foils). What really intrigued me was the comments about comments that followed that post, especially from Sage, Dim and Annoyed about the use of blogs to enhance the writing process.

I too began to blog (after Road turning me onto it - thanks sista!) to "hone my craft" and to get a little discipline and routing into my writing schedule, just like Sage. I am new to blogging so it has been an awakening of sorts, to a voice that I did not know I had, but what is it doing, if anything, to my fiction writing voice? When I write fiction for print publication, I cannot take for granted that people reading my work will be able to read my entire catalogue of writing, may know me personally, etc. so the dynamic changes.

This scares me a little bit because we are talking about two very different disciplines here and I think we have identified it as handy to the creative process as a defibrillator is to medic but ultimately, how do we use it to our best advantage? Is there a possibility that the blog is like a weed with pretty flowers that we use for extra color in the yard yet could be responsible for choking the rose garden sometime in the future? The rose garden is the actual pieces of work - that novel, that collection of poems or short fiction- that we are laboring over on trains to our money-paying jobs - sorry, I lost the meaning in the metaphor.


And there it is again! I allowed myself to put something down that isn't entirely clear, very clumsy and wouldn't even make the first public draft of a piece of fiction I am working on but I allow it because this is a blog and bloggers are family. If you guys won't forgive me clunkiness, no one will.

I do see the immediate benefits to my writing overall. I find it easier to turn the wheels on a short story I am writing, say, because of the blog-grease that is applied on an almost daily basis. I also find the writing of first person POV much easier and the creation of first person POV a snap because what is a blog if not the writing of yourself into a character. And many of us are all in character, my lovely's, that beautiful pseudonym lets us take on the mantle of so many wonderful things that the shoes of our everyday existance would never allow. Fresh Air's blog is very intriguing as she, as many of your comments indicate, seems to have no barrier, no sense of filter which makes her voice honest and daring or she has created such a complete and rich narrator which she calls Fresh Air that it is worth a pulitzer. Which ever is the truth, snaps to you girl, both are difficult to pull off.

But I am wary of the future, long term effects and I would love to hear from all you writers who have more time in the City of Blog to their credit than me. Sage, how has your fiction been affected by blogging? Dim and Annoyed, do you have a feeling to write beyond blogs now and has the added creativity brought on by blogs extended into other areas. Road, how does business writing get effected, it must in some way?

Anyway, apologies for the less than entertaining blog but I am attracted to this idea of not only blog as a creative spark plug but also as a community of people who are naturally inclined put pen to paper - well ok, not pen to paper but you get my drift.

And of course I am making the assumption, as I do with both blogging and Writing with a capital "W" that anyone is out there reading any of this anyway. I often do find myself talking to myself - I think all writers do.

4 Comments:

At Saturday, June 24, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Wow, what an amazing post. My brain hurts after reading it. In a good way.

I'll try to give you a brief Dim history.

I really always wanted to be a writer. In junior high, I wrote for the school paper...movie and music reviews.

Since high school, I wrote a lot of poetry and probably have a stack of poetry a few inches thick. Short stories too. I wanted to self-publish an anthology. Someone I worked with knew someone who said they would look at my stuff. I picked out my 10 best and sent them off. They got ripped to shreds. I went in a creative funk immediately after that and didn't do anything substantial for a couple of years.

I haven't written much poetry since. Well, except for "When I Get Old..." HA!

Poetry is a strange animal to me because it is far more personal and immediately emotional than a work of fiction or a review. I can understand someone saying "this poem isn't for me", but to say it sucked really diminishes its inspiration. It's like saying a journal entry sucks. This poem is how I was feeling at the time. It wasn't written with a plot in mind.

Moving on, I sort of abandoned poetry and moved back to writing reviews for an e-zine. Mostly CD and convert reviews and the periodic wise-ass essay or news parody piece. All for free.

The zine collapsed and my only creative outlet was the guitar (which I had been playing off and on since I was a kid). I started doing open mics.

Then, March turned me onto blogging. I was hesitant at first, but found that it did stoke the creative fires, at least for writing, that I had considered hibernating from lack of success.

Blogging is a strange thing for me. I put a lot of time an energy into my posts. I never wanted it to be a "this is what I had for breakfast today" type of blog. That wasn't for me. Sometimes I put an enormous amount of pressure on myself to come up with material. I hate it when I see visitors come and I haven't had anything new to post for a week. Or even a few days. Will they stop coming? Am I losing my creative footing again?

I'd love to be a writer. Jenny G thinks I should write a book. I get an amazing amount of encouragement from the folks who read my blog and that makes me feel really good.

All the other people's blogs I read...they are all so good! ALL of them. It makes me want to "raise my game", but sometimes I can't. And that makes me nervous about the prospect of being a writer.

So, here I am...blogging and playing guitar for my creative output while working a job that doesn't really reward for creativity. I could have been Chuck Klosterman if I set my mind to it and it pisses me off a little that I'm not.

Sorry for the VERY long comment (brevity is not my strong suit) and I'm not sure if I answered your question. But feel free to ask more if you want to know more. I always pop in and check your blog out.


- D.

 
At Sunday, June 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the snaps, dear.

It's funny that you bring up Fresh Air as a character, because I was working on a post about who I am in reality as opposed to who I am on the blog. I will say there have been times when I cringe after I publish something. But, in my mind, I can't be a good writer unless I'm completely honest with myself. And at this point I that without that honesty, I've let myself and my readers down.

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006, Blogger Greg said...

pog, what you bring up in your post has been on my mind a lot lately.

like i said before, the reason to start blogging for me was to try to get some discipline. it's been said that 500 words a day should be one's goal, whether it's good or bad output, if you don't put your ass in the seat you'll write nothing at all.

i'm lazy by nature, discipline was always the issue. blogging has helped with that. tremendously.

i also find it hard to find a voice, to have something meaningful to say with my fiction. i think it's because all writers have some demons they wrestle with, and writing helps them get it out. well, i've exorcised the majority of my demons through phiosophical studies. self-analysis, if you will. bloggin's helped with me trying to find out what i want to say, if anything.

technically, i know i've gotten better. i re-read a story i've been working on on-and-off for the last few years, and a lot of it i'd love to re-do.

blogging's helped me learn the value of a word, the economy and flow of writing, to be clear and concise.

but, it leaves no time for fiction [apart from the fiction i write for the blog]. if i wanted to write a story, i'd have to take some time from blogging.

by the way, i disagree with your disagreeing about the scientific method!

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Hi Kids,
Thanks for this! I needed these comments to get me through a period of "hmm, why am I doing this?" and when I read what you are saying and I see things through your eyes, I have a much better, much more positive perspective.

Dim - I can talk to you for hours about creativity, giving up creativity which you really can't do - once an addict, always an addict. And you should write a book. You should find any outlet that you can because, you are good enough and smart enough and gosh darn! people like you ... seriously, the surprising thing to me about this blogging business was the amount of talent out there and you have got it. I told March after one of his blogs that he should seriously think about doing the music review thing as more than a hobby and I can say the same thing about you for your writing and observatorial humour.

Road - you are honest and forthcoming. You don't have to follow along the lines of anyone else and I know that you know that, I am just saying it for the craic. I enjoy reading your blogs for the subtleness. There is no posturing and no pretense and it is a nice addition to the mix. I am glad that I know you to get the "rest of the story" though ;-)

Fresh - To face some of the stuff that you do smack in the face and to put it down for people like me to read - again, I have to say that I am awestruck. I don't think I could relive some stuff in my mind let alone type it out without changing the story slightly, giving it a name, and telling it in the third person! But you do and that is what keeps people coming. Good woman yerself, as they say over on this side of the pond!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home