Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Not-so-Innocents Abroad

In the spirit of Victorian era travel writers, I have some notes from my travels. They are in no particular order, nor do they have any common theme that I know of at this point of the writing. If one emerges, then bully for us!

I took myself to the movies today. I was told that if it was too hot in the theater (no air conditioning) I could get my money back if it was before the first 15 minutes was over. I didn't even notice the heat but I did notice the presence of body odor. When I went to order popcorn, they asked me if I wanted "sweet or salty"? Imagining what "sweet" was but not wanting to chance it, I let my money lie on "salty" and I told them to hold the butter. They said "we don't do butter." I can never live in this city.

Taxi drivers do not talk in London. In Dublin, you can't shut them up.

Even good hotels are crappy. The place is too old to retro-fit in a lot of luxuries. You have to settle for charming.

(How come on this episode of CSI: New York, the medical examiner arrived at the scene before the guy was dead. That can't happen. Sorry, this one is from my present thought process)

They have this place called Yo Sushi which is a Sushi bar where they put the food on tracks which make there way around the restaurant. You choose what you want and pay according to the color coded plates that stack up in front of you. I like it but the music sucks and there is something unsettling about my food getting more mileage than my car.

English women have the straightest, thinnest hair in the world.

If all tacky souveniers which proudly display the name of some place are made in China ... I don't know where I am going with this, I think a rant against Globalization.

When you go to Hollywood movies in other countries, you forget you are not in the US and are surprised for a couple of seconds when you get out of the theater to be back in another country. Ok, I do. Maybe its just me.

(How come there needs to be a CSI in every major city in the USA? Is Chicago, Atlanta, LA next? Oh, and medical examiners don't wear belly shirts, even if they can.)

Londoners spend an inordinate amount of time planning their lives against train schedules and time tables.

I could never live in this city.

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Blogger Mr. A said...

sounds fun either way.... Can't wait to get to Europe someday!

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Me neither. They any closer to finishing that trans-Atlantic highway?

- D.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

if i had to live in one non-American city it would be london. lots to do and i speak the language (well, kind of).

i'm with you on the CSI thing. i also am not convinced that we needs 8 versions of Law & Order.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Europe. I think it's the history and the sensibilities that draw me to Europe. I especially love Bath, Dublin, and Rome. But my favorite place in all of Europe is Barcelona. Gorgeous. And I believe that even I fell in love with some of the flamenco dancers there.

London is pretty awesome too. I've never had better fish and chips anywhere else. And they have some great pubs. I love the clash of modern and old architecture.

You're lucky to live in a place that is pretty close to all of those gorgeous cities.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Blogger Simone said...

"Hey look kids, there's Big Ben, and there's Parliament!"

Pog, I've experienced the same walking out of a movie theater in another country.

Londoners are very unfriendly. And living and working in a country vs. visiting a country are 2 very different experiences.

All the women in London have thin hair because they use straighteners to look like Posh Spice and bleach it blonde to look like the others in OK mag. They end up losing their hair to breakage and it becomes very thin.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Blogger Potsie said...

Try this:

Go to a movie in a country where English isn't the language.

I saw the Big Lebowski in Israel. There were Hebrew and English subtitles. The funniest part was when the spoken english was translated into the written english. Completely different, and absolutely hysterical.

 
At Wednesday, July 26, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Hotwire - you would rather live in Dublin for all your reasons but a few extra ones as well

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Simone - I dig the "European Vacation" memory ... big ben kids

Jocular - How about a blog about Isreal? You have an experience most of us will never have.

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

another reason could be that irish blood runs through my veins (racing around with the cherokee blood). dublin it is!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home