Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pog hath murder'd sleep - Notes of an Insomniac

I can't sleep. This is getting serious. I have never had insomnia for this long in my life. I was chalking it up to jet lag after my trip back to the States but it has been 3 weeks and I find myself wide awake at 3 in the morning. Please don't tell me to do any eastern relaxation techniques or to drink tea made of the stuff under my shoes - it won't help, I'm not doing it, Stop.

It isn't all bad. I am writing a lot more, unfortunately is has all been on this blog. I can't work on stories. I guess that I am tired but I just can't sleep. I feel like Lady Macbeth but yet, I am not feeling guilty about anything. I am not being "robbed of sleep" from a guilty conscience but pilfered I be all the same. In addition to writing, I am learning some stuff. For example, did you know that on the BBC after 1 am in the morning, all programming is accompanied by those annoying signers for the deaf. Apparently, the British Broadcasting Corporation has discovered a link between insomnia and deafness, thus effectively targeting all those sleepless deaf people in the UK. Although, I guess the hearing unimpaired can also enjoy the shows without being driven insane by the spastic mime in the corner because the signer is wearing black! We won't notice him because of his disguise. Clever.

Also, the 24-hour news stations just simply give up trying to fill time around 1:30 and they just read the newspaper headlines as soon as they get whiff of them. Have we gotten so bad that I have to watch TV so they can read a newspaper to me? I guess so because, you know, I kind of like it.

I think I have something on my mind. I am not yet conscious of it enough to make that light bulb go on (aha!) but I think I have too much going on in my head. I have too much to do, both at work and at home. I can't relax! I am a very laid back person so you wouldn't know that I am stressed out - I mean, I can't get done what I have to do at home and I am stuck over here.

This is what may be keeping me from sleeping (including rankings of relevance - like Google!):
  • I am worried about work (35%)
  • I am worried about my house and dog (45%)
  • I am worried about my financial situation (35%)
  • I am worried about Cookie the Horse not having enough water and it has been unseasonably hot (65%)
  • I am worried that I am in my mid-thirties and I am not yet married (70%)
  • I am worried that I do not have any discernible maternal instinct outside of dog ownership and I an nearing my infertile years (75%)
  • I am worried that I have early-onset Alsheimer's Disease (50%)

Whew! That was tough to get out. One thing you should know about the "real" Pog is that I not only am a Freak Magnet, I am a Stress Sponge - it goes in and doesn't come out unless it comes out in one hellofa downpour. So even considering I am worried about something does not come naturally to me. Its exhausting.

I think I need some sleep.

11 Comments:

At Friday, July 28, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Listen to some Warren Zevon. Oh wait...from reading Sage's comments, you already are.

You can always try some sleeping pills, but they have some side effects, I hear.

It's easy to see what your problem is. From your rankings, you have 375% of everything that's keeping you awake. And that doesn't include the 95% relevance of "Constantly thinking of Dim as K-Fed...he will be mine...oh yes. He will be mine". That's natural, though, Pog. All the ladies say so. Surrender to that feeling and await sweet slumber.

Seriously, hope you get some shut eye. There's always the Dim City archives...a great sleep-inducing source. Only potential side effect? Weird dreams involving Bumbles.

- D.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

OK, I had to comment again, because at this very moment, Zevon's "The Hula Hula Boys" is playing on my iTunes. (yawn)...seems to be working for me.

- D.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006, Blogger Mr. A said...

I love Warren!

"Things to Do in Denver" and "Lawyers Drugs and Money" ROCK!

Anyway,

I suffered through this myself for all of June and half of July. It'll go away on it's own... Whatever is keeping you up will work itself out most likely.

In the meantime, I feel for you... At least you're getting some writing done... The computer romm in my house has no AC and it's killing me

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006, Blogger Simone said...

I'll tell a secret - one small glass of Cognac. Try Remy Martin. And you'll be sleeping like a baby.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

on a serious note, this one got to me:

I am worried that I have early-onset Alsheimer's Disease (50%)

why do you say this?????

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I'm still suffering from insomnia. It's been two months and it goes in and out.

Hope you get to sleep.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006, Blogger March2theSea said...

to quote "road house"

sleep..honey i'll get all the sleep I need when I am dead.

use the awake hrs to be creative..build me a cake or something.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Dim and Annoyed - Zevon is great! And I get "Werewolves of London" instantaneously as soon as I get into a black cab. It has been on endless loop for the last 4 days! Maybe that's why I can't sleep. I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vics. His hair was perfect

Fresh - I remember your posts about not sleeping. Maybe you should try Simone's remedy of fancy hooch. Let me know how it goes.

Hotwire - Yeah, this is serious. My grandmother and grandaunt (sisters, on my dad's side) both had Alsheimer's. I am forgetful to the point where it is ridiculous. People have always chalked it up to me being an airhead, ditsy, etc. but I wonder now...

March - I will build you a cake kiddo.

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006, Blogger Steve H said...

you should get it checked out. seriously.

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insomonia Sucks!! Perhaps you need some Aussie chocolate??? I can help you score some!! He he he !!

Or Maybe you need some Yanky Chocolate ... I've got a dealer for that too...
LOL

Seriously, hope you get some shut eye soon... And marriage is Highly overated consider yourself lucky!! LOL

RR

 
At Sunday, July 30, 2006, Blogger Jenny G said...

Stress sponge. I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home