Monday, February 05, 2007

Life in the Country - Where is my Jeep when I really could use it?



After being inspired by my pal Dim's great success in purchasing a house, I thought to maybe share my experiences in the experiment that is sometimes called, "Returning to Nature or Living the Simple Life".

Some years ago, I bought a wee stone cottage in rural Ireland. Let's first get our definition of "rural" down so we get some perspective on this. This place is so rural, Google Earth doesn't really pick it up, it just gives some kind of relief map thing that looks like ones that we had in school where the Rocky Mountains looked like scars. This place is so rural that the road that runs in front of my cottage has grass growing in the middle of it. My driveway is about 1/4 of a mile up a cow path that is dirt and rocks (with a waterfall if it rains too much) and, cows! Go figure. How rural is this place Pog, you ask? This place is so rural that it is 8 miles to the nearest store (in off road conditions)...but only 2 miles to a really good Guinness. The killer thing about this is that when I lived in Boston and only needed a car to go the length of the Mass Pike to Framingham, I had a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee that was so high off the ground, I got nose bleeds. Now that I have no asphalt in my life anymore... I am driving a bottom heavy VW (see yesterday's post). The mud flaps are totally gone.

So here I am, in the middle of nowhere, enjoying my surroundings and not regretting a single minute, believe me, but my education about everything - animal, vegetable and mineral - was about to begin in earnest.

Next installment ... The Birds and the Bees ... and Spiders.

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 06, 2007, Blogger Jenny G said...

It's so cute and the grass is so green!

 
At Tuesday, February 06, 2007, Blogger Dim said...

That place looks awesome!!

 
At Tuesday, February 06, 2007, Blogger March2theSea said...

that is a cool place for sure!!

 
At Tuesday, February 06, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

LOVE the wee stone cottage!! It just looks precious....my next house will be sometime stone cottage-y like for sure....love them!! Nice to see you posting again Pog.....:)

Tell us, if you will, what does Pog mo thoin mean??

 
At Tuesday, February 06, 2007, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Thanks for the kind words guys! You are all invited!!!

Boo - you are so nice to ask and I feel bad in telling you that Pog Mo Thoin is Gaelic for "Kiss my Behind". Pog means kiss which is the nice part.

 
At Tuesday, February 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome place Pog!!! Great to see you back posting I sure did miss ya.....

 
At Thursday, February 08, 2007, Blogger Mr. A said...

I'm jealous.

Not be around anyone is sometimes all I could ever want.

Doesn't happen much around here

 
At Thursday, February 08, 2007, Blogger A-Train said...

I always knew about the wee cottage, but never saw a picture. Very sweet Pog.

 
At Saturday, March 24, 2007, Blogger hotwire said...

i drive a durango in the 'suburban jungle' of eastern connecticut so i'm in touch with your jeep on the mass pike situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home