Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Poetry Anthology - HELP!!!

So, I have had over a month and a half to put together a collection of poems - not my own mind you - into a collection and then write a 3000 word introduction to the collection making an argument for why I a)selected these poems b)think they go together and are important to be in my selected anthology.

Let me make a confession - and this is significant as a creative writer - poetry bores the shite out of me. I have to go to endless poetry reading and pretend that I understand and appreciate it. I don't really, sometimes, but it is the exception and not the rule. I have to discuss it, ponder it, analyse it, deal with it and it just doesn't flick my bic if you know what I mean.

Here is my idea - you guys help me. Surely, some of you have a favorite poem. I mean, I have a favorite poem, usually people who read do even if they don't regularly buy volumes of poems, but I am interested in your picks. I will put some of them into my anthology and write my introduction about how these poems hang together because they have come from a common, grassroots upswelling that is blog land or some such blah blah like that!

So please! Comment away! I need up to 30 poems for this thing!!!!

~Jody

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 10, 2007, Blogger Jenny G said...

I hate poetry but my favorites are "may i feel said he" and "i like my body when it is with your" by cummins and I LOVE a lot of Stephen Crane poems like "I Saw a Man," "In the Desert," "The Wayfarer," "A Man Said to the Universe," and "Many Workmen."

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

You are welcome to borrow some from here....http://passages-of-time.blogspot.com/

It's my other blog which I have neglected for eons....but it has some collections of some of my favourite poems, quotes, sayings etc..

Enjoy!

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007, Blogger Dim said...

I used to really dig Coleridge. You know...Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Kublai Khan. Then again, that's also when I used to draw dragons on my school book covers.

Now, my favorite poems are written by me! HA!

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007, Blogger Greg said...

it's not a happy poem, but it's stayed with me ever since i read it as a young teenager: 'the emperor of ice cream' by wallace stevens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home