Monday, January 15, 2007

Poetry Anthology - the saga continues

I gave a shout out for your favorite poems, and while the response was a little light, it was impressive. The weirdest thing for me is that of all the poets in the world who have created all the poetry in the world, you who have commented, have pegged some of my very favorite. It's a bit creepy - or we all had the same high school english curriculae.


Boo - thanks for tuning me into your other blog. It has some great stuff on it. For those who don't know, Boo is hiding another blog http://passages-of-time.blogspot.com/. Check it out.

Jenny - I am trying to do my damnest to get e.e cummings into this anthology of mine because I love him and I like Stephen Crane. I decided to go with the theme of the apocalypse - poetry written after wars which foresee the terrible transformation of civilization as we know it.

Dim - Coleridge is perfect. One of my absolute favs. The romantic era turning into Gothic- thank God! I was sick of those anemic, opium addicts like Shelley and Keats going on about skylarks and Grecian urns. Thanks to God Coleridge got some bad absenth and went weird. Over-sexed exotic people or raving, salt-water drinking sailors are much more fun!!! Kubla Khan and Rime of the Ancient Mariner are the reasons I picked the theme - that and the Second Coming by W.B Yeats.

Sage - This is why we need your voice! When's your next post??? I really love Wallace Stephens and the poem you chose was great. Do you think I can stretch its meaning into some kind of wider, apocalyptic meaning and the ruination of society out a really sad poem about a lady who died and people at her funeral hardly care?

To all of you who did not have a hand in this yet ... get cracking. The theme is the Apocalyse in whatever form you and your poet sees it happening. No hope for the future - or even worse - a future whose prospects are almost intolerable.

And since this needs to be done "tout suite" as they say in Haiti, I probably will have very little else on my mind and my postings are sure to be reflective of this. The more you help, the less I nag!

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 16, 2007, Blogger March2theSea said...

Sorry I just don't know poetry so I didn't respond.

 
At Wednesday, January 17, 2007, Blogger Mr. A said...

I'm with March....

Never much of a poetry guy. With the exception of Bob Dylan and Robert Hunter.

Do they count?

 
At Thursday, January 18, 2007, Blogger A-Train said...

I'm not much of a poetry type either, but Bob Dylan's got to count (it did in undergrad English class). If you're talking Dylan and the topic is Apocalypse, then either "Masters of War" or "With God on our Side" would qualify pretty much as "can't get any worse".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home