Monday, September 11, 2006

To An Athlete Dying Young

This is Mark Bavis. He was a good friend of mine from college. He was on Flight 135 out of Boston on September 11th, 2001. He was a scout for the L.A Kings at the time that he died. I was a tutor for the B.U Hockey Men's Varsity hockey team during my undergraduate years and Mark, and his identical twin brother Mike, were on the team. They got me the job. He majored in English and I would like to think that I had something to do with that.

I miss all my college friends. I miss Mike Bavis, Dan Donato, Kevin O'Sullivan, J.P McKersie, Zoe Mulholland, Jen Crowley - all of them. But I will see them again, I know I will. When we all have gone grey, gained weight and seen our kids off, I will be running into them from time to time. The last time we were all together was for Mark at the memorial service. He brought us together. I will miss Mark most of all because I won't be running into him again. Not in this life.

A.E Housman's poem, To An Athlete Dying Young was written for a guy like Mark. I link to it here because on a day like today, we need poetry. Also, because if Mark had to read it, he would have rolled his eyes, exaspirated, crossed Bay State Road and knocked on my door to ask me what it meant. If only he could now.

7 Comments:

At Monday, September 11, 2006, Blogger Simone said...

Amen! God Bless Mark! I'm sure he's reading your blog rolling his eyes right now...and smiling. :)

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006, Blogger Dim said...

Sorry Pog. But when the puck takes a funny bounce at Agganis Arena this season resulting in a goal to beat BC, we'll know who had something to do with it.

- D.

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006, Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Simone - I certainly hope so! I can hear him start "..but Jodes.."

Dim - As in life so in death ;-) Hopefully it is in the Beanpot final!

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006, Blogger Jenny G said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad. There are so many to honor.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Blogger Mr. A said...

I laugh when people tell me "don't forget....Always remember"

Like I, or you, or anyone will ever "forget" anything about that day.

Or anyone....

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Sorry for your loss.... How terrific of you to put him up on your blog for all of us to know him..

RR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home